Related manufacturers:Commercial Vehicles, Company Vehicles, Electric EV Vehicles, Environment, Estate/Touring , Executive , Ford, Hybrid, New Models, Technology, Vans
Comment; Improvements to Ford’s sophisticated 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engine includes a revised low-inertia turbocharger design that helps deliver a broader spread of power,^
- Upgraded 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engine to offer Ford Tourneo Custom fuel efficiency improvement of up to six per cent. New, more powerful 185PS variant also introduced
- Segment-first 48-volt EcoBlue Hybrid powertrain delivers additional fuel efficiency, particularly in stop-start urban driving scenarios
- FordPass Connect on-board modem delivers Wi-Fi hotspot for up to 10 devices; advanced driver assistance technologies now include Active Park Assist and Lane-Keeping Aid
- Eight/nine-seater Tourneo Custom people-mover saw sales rise by 28 per cent last year
The Ford Tourneo Custom people-mover will soon be available with more powerful and fuel-efficient 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engines, innovative new EcoBlue Hybrid powertrains and sophisticated driver assistance technologies, including Active Park Assist.
The new Tourneo Custom, which will be on sale from mid-2019, delivers up to a six per cent* improvement in fuel efficiency for reduced running costs, and Ford’s sophisticated 2.0-litre EcoBlue engine will be offered as a new 185PS variant with 415Nm of torque, for more responsive performance and greater pulling power when carrying up to nine occupants and luggage.
It will also be the first vehicle in its class to offer 48‑volt mild-hybrid technology to further reduce fuel costs for owners and operators. The new EcoBlue Hybrid variant delivers an anticipated three per cent additional fuel efficiency improvement, based on WLTP analysis, with enhanced benefits in stop-start urban driving.
FordPass Connect on-board modem technology is introduced, turning the Tourneo Custom into a WiFi hotspot for up to 10 devices, while advanced new technology features help drivers park, tow, prevent collisions and even avoid speeding fines with greater confidence.
“The latest generation Tourneo Custom has proved a runaway success with customers as varied as executive shuttle services, large families and weekend adventurers,” said Hans Schep, general manager, Commercial Vehicles, Ford of Europe. “Now, the more powerful and fuel efficient 2.0-litre EcoBlue engine and unique new EcoBlue Hybrid options will further reduce running costs to make the Tourneo Custom even more appealing.”
Following the launch of the new model at the start of 2018 – with an all-new premium interior and stylish new front-end design – Ford sold more than 17,000 Tourneo Custom people-movers during the year across Europe, a 28 per cent increase compared with the previous year.
More choice for power and refinement... Improvements to Ford’s sophisticated 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engine includes a revised low-inertia turbocharger design that helps deliver a broader spread of power^ across a wider rpm range and a fuel-injection system that increases peak pressure to 2,200 bar helps achieve more efficient combustion. To reduce friction within the engine, new steel pistons feature a slimmer skirt design than the out-going cast-aluminium design. A variable-flow oil pump reduces parasitic losses by adapting oil delivery to demand.
The engine delivers up to a six per cent* improvement in fuel efficiency, based on the World Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP), while adhering to the latest stringent Euro 6 emissions standards. In addition to the new 185PS variant, the 2.0-litre EcoBlue is also available with 130PS and 105PS power outputs.
New EcoBlue Hybrid 48-volt mild hybrid technology becomes available for selected manual transmission variants and has been optimised to enhance fuel efficiency. A belt-driven integrated starter/generator (BISG) replaces the standard alternator, enabling recovery and storage of energy during vehicle decelerations, and charging a 48-volt lithium-ion air-cooled battery pack. The BISG also acts as a motor, using the stored energy to provide torque assistance to the engine under normal driving and acceleration, as well as running the vehicle’s electrical ancillaries.
The EcoBlue Hybrid’s advanced Auto Start-Stop technology operates in more situations, including when the vehicle is stationary in gear, and when the vehicle is coasting to a stop. The driver can adjust the coasting speed at which Auto Start-Stop operates, between 7mph and 12mph.
All Tourneo Custom powertrains also benefit from a selectable ECO Mode to further reduce fuel consumption. The feature optimises the vehicle configuration and settings to maximise fuel efficiency.
Connected and intelligent technologies... FordPass Connect on-board modem technology – standard for both the 4-inch and available 8‑inch touchscreens – enables each occupant to benefit from Wi-Fi connectivity, and a range of features can be accessed via the FordPass mobile app to make the vehicle ownership and operating experience easier and more productive, including Vehicle Status, Vehicle Locator, Remote lock/unlock and, for automatic variants, Remote Start.
For fleet or business users, FordPass Connect will also enable customers to improve vehicle utilisation and optimise running costs through solutions such as the new Ford Telematics and Ford Data Services products, which are launching during 2019.
Driver assistance technologies offered for the first time to Tourneo Custom drivers include:
- Blind Spot Information System with Trailer Tow system, featuring an extended blind spot zone that covers the vehicle plus a trailer of up to 10 metres in length
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Intelligent Speed Limiter, which combines the functionality of Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Cruise Control to help drivers stay within legal speed limits
- Lane-Keeping Aid, which monitors the road markings ahead and actively supports the driver to safely guide the vehicle back into the correct lane by “nudging” the steering wheel in the correct direction
- Active Park Assist, which helps steer the vehicle into and out of parallel and perpendicular parking spaces, while the driver controls acceleration and braking
- Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection, which uses a forward-facing camera and radar to detect people or vehicles in the road, and automatically applies the brakes if the driver does not respond to warnings. The system is now capable of detecting pedestrians at night when they are illuminated by the headlamps
Offering eight- or nine-seat configurations, the Tourneo Custom remains the only vehicle in its segment to offer six individual seats with the ability to arrange the two rear rows in a conference format. A choice of short- or long-wheelbase versions are offered, the longer model providing additional luggage space behind the third row of seats.
Exclusive series options include the upscale Titanium X, which features full leather trim, SYNC 3 voice-activated connectivity system with navigation and an 8-inch touchscreen, rear-view camera, and Bi-xenon headlamps as standard. For customers seeking a more dynamic look, the Sport combines the 185 PS engine option, a full exterior body kit with twin bonnet stripes and unique 17-inch alloy wheels, alongside partial leather interior trim.